With the beginning of summer we begin to get used to seeing the sun in the sky every day. The sun is our main source of vitamin D. It has numerous benefits and one of them is being able to get energy from it.
Solar energy is a type of energy that you can get through the rays of light radiated by the sun. That is, it is that energy that comes from the sun.
Humans can use solar energy to live in better conditions and thus help take care of the planet.
Solar energy has a lot of benefits for people:
- It is a renewable energy, that is, it is an energy that can never be exhausted. The sun is a star that does not stop shining and always emits light, so it is an energy that will never end.
- Solar energy is ecological, that is, when it is generated, at no time do we harm the environment. No waste is generated and the consumption of fossil fuels such as coal is avoided. Therefore it is a type of energy that takes into account the care of the environment and the planet.
- Compared to wind and hydropower, solar energy continues to rank No. 1 for its ability to adapt and not alter the environment at all.
- The energy that is generated can be used whenever we want, since it can be stored. In contrast, hydropower and wind energy cannot be stored directly.
- With the improvement in technology, solar panels (by which solar energy is stored) are cheaper and more and more people are starting to use them in their homes.
What are solar panels?
Solar panels are devices that allow us to capture and take advantage of the energy that comes from the sun. There are two types:
- Solar thermal panels: They are able to convert solar energy into heat and, therefore, be able to use them in our homes and replace heating. They are installed on the roofs, since it is the place where the sun’s energy can be captured the most.
- Photovoltaic solar panels: These are very similar to those above, but the difference is that they convert solar energy into electricity, but do not convert it into heat.
In conclusion, solar energy can replace electricity and is favorable for the environment. Using solar energy, we take care of the planet.